Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Chinese Cooking

This week I had a recipe show up in my inbox for Meatless Monday that I thought I would try.  Granted, I substituted chicken for tofu.  It was for Fried Rice, which for our family became - Chicken Fried Rice.  I ventured down the Chinese aisle at the local store to pick up a few things.  This is an aisle I normally do not purchase items from, except for soy sauce.


The recipe also called for sake, but being a good PW I substituted rice vinegar. For the chicken, I decided to marinate with a mixture of the different sauces, which definitely helped the flavor of the chicken.  To save a step in the cooking, I didn't cook eggs separately.  I added them after the rice after making a well in the middle of the pan.  Another change I made was the carrot and peas, since my family are not the biggest fans.  For the carrots, I did a small julienne, and then I only had to purchased frozen peas.  I had started the prep for the dish early in the day so I would only have to assemble and cook after I was finished with piano lessons.

Thumbs up from the family!! All in all this dish was a hit, despite too many peas in the dish.  This will go in the rotation of family dishes.  Early prep made for easier cooking later. Next one I may try - beef and broccoli.  Also, I think I may need to purchase a rice steamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment